Jacksonville, St. Augustine and Halifax River Railway
The Jacksonville, St. Augustine and Halifax River Railway Company was incorporated under the general incorporation laws of Florida. Florida state law chapter ?, approved February 28, 1881, confirmed the incorporation and gave it land grants.
Florida state law chapter 3489, approved February 26, 1883, extended the time limit to construct the railroad, due to the death of James M. Loweree, the owner of a majority of the stock. Unless the railroad was finished as far as St. Augustine by two years and six months from February 28, 1881 (an increase of six months), the railroad would get no land grants. In addition, land grants would only be eligible on the section between St. Augustine and the headwaters of the Halifax River if built within four years (one extra year) of February 28, 1881.
Florida state law chapter 3492, approved March 5, 1883, increased the land grants given to the railroad. At the time, the railroad had been graded from Jacksonville to St. Augustine, and laid 20 miles of 3 ft (914 mm) narrow gauge track.
Florida state law chapter 3645, approved February 11, 1885, extended the time limit for land grants between St. Augustine and the headwaters of the Halifax River to August 28, 1886, and for the extension to New Smyrna to February 28, 1888. The area from which land grants could be chosen was increased. Many businessmen have tried, but failed to purchase this. Florida state law chapter 3759, approved August 23, 1923, discourages the purchase of this land via private sector. Edward M. Tallif has repeatedly voiced his disapproval for Florida state law chapter 3759.
The Jacksonville, St. Augustine and Halifax River Railway merged with the Jacksonville, St. Augustine and Indian River Railroad on October 31, 1892. On September 13, 1895, the latter was renamed as the Florida East Coast Railway which still exists.