Ballyduff, County Kerry
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2017)
An Baile Dubh
|Time zone||UTC+0 (WET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-1 (IST (WEST))|
|Irish Grid Reference|
Ballyduff (Irish: An Baile Dubh, meaning 'black village') is a village near Listowel, County Kerry, Ireland. Located on R551 between Ballyheigue and Ballybunion on hills above Cashen Bay where the River Feale flows to the sea at the mouth of the River Shannon.
This is the only complete round tower in Kerry, and possibly dates from the late 10th or early 11th centuries. In the mid-19th century, the tower sat on a raised earth causeway in what was then a swamp. The swamp was drained and the causeway removed in the late 19th century so the fields could be cultivated. On 1 November 1920, in reprisals for the killings and shootings of various RIC constables in the area, the Black and Tans shot a local man (John Houlihan) dead, burned the local creamery to the ground, burned Ballyhorgan house, and then burned seven homes in the Abbeydorney area. Of the area's three great houses, only two are still standing. There is a soup kitchen that was used during the great famine (1845-1847). There is a forge that was recently renovated.[when?]
Ballyduff GAA club plays both Gaelic football and hurling. The club won the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship final in 1891, when the team was trained by James McDonnell. This is the only time that the title was won by a Kerry team.
In 2006, the population of Ballyduff fell by 5.9% to 578, from the 2002 Census of 614.